Monday, September 17, 2012

Root Beer Themed Party Idea

In honor of my dad's birthday I decided to throw him a little root beer themed party! Who says adults are too old for themed birthday parties? ;)

I wanted to get inspiration for the party, so where did I go? Pinterest of course. And I found a couple cute ideas, but the one that stuck out the most was this printable from Rachel at Family Ever After for a Dad's Root Beer Stache party. She did it for Father's Day but I totally reused for my dad's birthday instead.


Remeber the pin wheel craft I did earlier? Yup, those are making a small appearance in this party as well.


I printed out the mustaches and attached them to popsicle sticks with a glue gun. I thought it would be fun to have a couple pictures of the family with mustaches!




Aside from the decor of the party, Ryan thought it would be cool to have the food match the theme. So we did just that! Ryan found this recipe for pulled pork with a root beer barbecue sauce for the main dish. It was pretty easy to put together. You brown the pork in a skillet before putting it in the crock-pot. Then inside the crock-pot you put the pork, a cup of root beer and two onions cut up in small wedges. About 30 mins before the meat is done you make the spicy root beer sauce-sound weird? It's not! Ryan happened to have made the sauce a little spicer than probably intended, but its a good thing we have a family that enjoys spice! ;)

And from a recipe we saw in our Taste of Home Magazine, I baked Root Beeer Cupcakes for dessert. You start with a boxed cake mix and add root beer concentrate {which we found at Walmart}. Then the frosting is simply Cool Whip with some root beer concentrate whipped together. Simple, easy & tasted frothy just like root beer. 




With all that root beer goodness, how did the party turn out? Glad you asked! Here are a couple photos from the blessed event.




The party was a HUGE HIT! My dad really enjoyed the theme and the time with family. YAY.  :o)




8 comments:

  1. Such a cute party! I'm sure your dad loved it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenn! I particularly love the photos with my nephews & mustaches. ;)

      Delete
  2. Wow, such a treat for me to see those printables used for such a fun party! Thanks so much for telling me about this! I love your idea to combine a root beer inspired dinner and dessert!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for making such great printables! They were perfect for the themed party & my family LOVED it so much. :)

      Delete
  3. You gotta love the mustache! :P The pin wheel craft you made looks so cool! :) Your father must be so proud of you, Gillian. I remember also throwing a beer party for my Father on his 40th birthday. Although, it wasn’t exactly a get-drunk beer party. I had my dad and his friends sample different beer brands that day, just to add a little twist.

    Corey Glenn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mustachetacular, indeed! :P Those two look so adorable with their mustaches on. Haha! You should try "Root Beer Float Cupcakes", Gillian. They do taste better than just plain "Root Beer cupcakes".

    Rob Feckler

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! That's new vocabulary to me, Rob. Indeed, they look so cute! I'm planning to fix the "Root Beer Float Cupcakes" on my uncle's birthday celebration this weekend. It's his favorite, you know.

      Jessie Henn

      Delete
  5. Wow, this is absolutely stunning Root Beer Themed Party Idea. All this party stuff is great. I think your ideas would be perfect for my dad’s birthday bash. Thanks for sharing photos. I will be booking a rental LA venue for this Root Beer birthday party.

    ReplyDelete