Thursday, January 20, 2011

Idioms, Idioms Everywhere


A good friend of mine and I were discussing the fact that she and her husband are trying to incorporate idioms into their conversations. Not the usual ones “crack me up,” “a piece of cake,” “between a rock and a hard place,” but uncommon ones into daily vernacular. 
     
Accepting the challenge, I decided to put that into practice into two different conversations. Both of which the recipients did not know my intentions…

Situation 1:
Friend- “OMG, I cannot focus to write this…”
Me- “Just got to bite the bullet, buckle down and get down to brass tacks!”
Definitions-
  •        Bite The Bullet: To accept something difficult and try to live with it.
  •        Buckle Down: to settle down to do something; to begin to work seriously at something.
  •       Get Down to Brass Tacks: To become serious about something.

Situation 2:
Ryan- “I love you, but you are a butt head”
Me- “You are all bark & no bite. Just a taste of your own medicine…”
Ryan- “Keep mouthing off…I will put you in your place when you get home.”
Me- “Mumbo jumbo”
Ryan- “You talk a big game when I’m not around.”
Me- “Pipe down & put a sock in it. We both know you won’t do anything…”
Definitions-
  •    All Bark And No Bite: When someone is threatening and/or aggressive but not willing to engage in a fight.
  •     A Taste Of Your Own Medicine: When you are mistreated the same way you mistreat others.
  •    Mumbo Jumbo: Nonsense or meaningless speech.
  •    Pipe Down: To shut-up or be quiet.
  •   Put a sock in it: To tell noisy person or a group to be quiet.

Stay tuned for continuous updates as I incorporate idioms into other conversations; after all, “practice makes perfect!” HAHA

No comments:

Post a Comment