Sunday, March 20, 2011

Whoopie Pie Masterpiece

A friend of mine has been discussing her desire to make whoopie pies for her daughter’s first birthday party. Apparently they are the next “big” thing for baking (of course I’m partial to make cake pops), but I thought I’d give it a whirl and see what all the fuss is about. After all, how hard can it be?
          
I took to the internet to find instructions that would be stupid simple, caz I’m all about the easy way of baking! Something that doesn’t required ten thousand ingredients (those suckers can get expensive) and my entire day (fortunately I’m mastering my cake pops so that’s no longer the case). Here’s a recipe and instructions I located from AllRecipes.com with a little tweak I did to make the process that much simpler:
       
Ingredients
  • 1 (18.25 ounce) package red velvet cake mix
  • 1 tub of cream cheese frosting
  • 2 muffin pans
  • Pam (cooking spray)
Directions
  1. To make the cakes: Prepare mix as directed on package. Drop batter onto greased muffin pan with an ice cream scoop (only 1/4 full). Bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean (about 20 minutes) and let cool.
  2. Once they have cooled, turn the little cakes over on their backs. Spoon a dollop of frosting onto half of the little cakes. Place the other half of the cakes on top of the filling to form sandwiches.
  3. And viola you have delicious whoopee pies!
              
*Please note you can create any combination you’d like, for example I think I might try lemon cake (b/c that’s a huge hit in my household) and lemon frosting or spice it up with strawberry! WHOA!
Here are some of the pictures of my creation…recognize that it was my first attempt so judging is strictly prohibited!
                 

My little whoopie pie creations!

Look at all that frosting! YUM!!

Anyone want whoopie pies to go? :)
Lessons learned: I thought using a muffin pan would be easier so the whoopie pies would keep it's shape. I think next time I might try just using a baking pan & reducing the water to see how they'll form. Maybe it'll help form the perfect shape?!  Who knows...

I’m bringing these little guys into work tomorrow to show them off to my friend. Hopefully it’ll give her confidence about baking several dozen for her little angel’s b-day party.

No comments:

Post a Comment