Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Runner gurl

As I get ready to tell a story, I feel the need to give some history prior to just jumping right in. Not sure if that’s the best way or not, but it helps myself process where or how I’ve gotten to that place today. So here it goes…

I’ve not always been a runner. Truth be told, I had no desire to run any amount of distance. I ran in the 5K Race for the Cure down at the Virginia Beach Oceanfront before, but never really considered myself a runner. Several years later I start meeting people that have participated in half marathons. The competitive side in me takes over and starts to drive the notion in my head that I can do it! So I sign up for my first half marathon. Thinking that itself was a huge feat, I have since signed up and completed two more half marathons; including one in Disney World which was AMAZING!

Getting to my point… On my 30 Before 30 List I made the goal of running in a FULL MARATHON! Everyone I know thinks I’m crazy for setting this goal. But regardless, it’s something I think is huge to accomplish in one’s life. Did you know less than 1% of Americans have completed a FULL MARATHON? I want to accomplish that. I swore up and down after my first two half marathons that a full marathon was not for me, and yet here I am taking that step. I’ve signed up for the Yuengling Shamrock Marathon in Virginia Beach on March 20, 2011 and have begun training. The difficult part for me is going to be the pressure. I tend to put a lot of pressure on myself in general, especially for races. But what I need to realize is finishing is the ultimate goal.

This past weekend I ran 8+ miles. I’m comfortable that I can run 13 miles (after all I’ve done 3 ½ marathons) but I’m scared for the remaining miles. To help build my motivation and talk through my fears, I will be posting bi-weekly (if not weekly) updates and concerns about this race. Maybe posting it publically for all to see will help me along my journey.

In addition to my commitment on this blog, I’m also committing to various races to help ‘hype’ my excitement throughout the training process. Cause trust me, training in a gym for the next four months isn’t going to be all that exciting! :)

December 4th, 2010
Surf n Santa 10 Miler:

February 12, 2011
Virginia is for Lovers:
http://www.vifl14k.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment